I’m quite enjoying working on the Retro Remake afghan. The stitching is very interesting, in that you always keep the right side facing. This, of course, means that you will cut your yarn at the end of each row and start fresh on the next row. Both the beginning and ending tails on each row are designed to be part of the fringe. Since most of the stitches are worked in back-loops only, the visual effect is different, and the piece has more stretch than most crochet work I have done.
|Close-up of stitching|
However, even though this pattern uses only 3 different stitches, it can get complicated because the directions for each row are very similar in wording. In fact, it is very easy to lose your place even within a row for the same reason. So, when I hit a spot that was obviously not right, I figured I’d done something wrong. I counted my stitches several times on the row I was working as well as the row previous, compared them to the directions and could find nothing out of place. My next guess was that the pattern just didn’t fit together as well as it should have and would need to be adjusted for this row. Well, that is so much fun that I put it off for several days. Finally, I sat down and wrote out every stitch for the row I was stuck on and the rows immediately before and after – for the first repeat anyway. After getting them all neatly lined up on paper, I could see that the mistake was completely non-existent. Well, sigh.
New tactic. This time I had my husband read the stitches on paper to me as I checked my work for the last completed row. Sure enough, I had one extra stitch. I don’t know where it came from or why I hadn’t found it to begin with, but mystery solved, work could begin again.
Here is a photo of my progress so far: