Before the holiday weekend I made progress on two of my afghans.
Project #1 – Retro Remake Throw is now halfway stitched. I’m very excited about this, but will be putting it aside for a bit while I finish up some Christmas projects that must take precedence.
|Retro Remake Throw with half of stitching complete – both ends showing|
Project #2 – Graphic Granny Afghan was up to six complete hexagons before Thanksgiving. With a total of 60 needed at the current rate of 2 hexagons per week I should be ready to stitch this together by the end of next May.That seems like a very long time, but it is fulfilling its purpose as the perfect travel project.
|Six completed hexagons for Graphic Granny ‘Ghan|
I would have realized sooner, had I bothered to look, but these hexagons are smaller than they were meant to be. The pattern says they should be 7 1/2″. Mine are each 5″.
On the upside, they are all consistently 5″. The suggested hook is size I. Usually with basic worsted weight I can translate to a size K hook and be just fine. But obviously not this time. After considering the matter, I decided that rather than pull them all out to start over I will just have a smaller blanket, or maybe make an extra row or two, if I have enough yarn at the end. We’ll see.
Lastly, I spent part of the weekend on a project for my husband. A couple years ago, I stitched him a winter hat that he really liked. Somehow, just before Thanksgiving, he lost it while at work. He asked me to make him another, which I was more than happy to do. He did request that it be black instead of gray this time and be a wee bit smaller since the other was always a little big. I used the same pattern as before, a watch cap pattern that I found on the Lion Brand Website. The pattern calls for Wool-Ease Chunky, but I used two strands of I Love This Yarn instead. I also used a size N(9mm) hook for the cap part and size L for the ribbing.
Amazingly, the gauge swatch not only came out correct on the first try, it was good for both dimensions. This never happens to me. It only took a few hours over two days to get a completed hat.
|Completed Watch Cap|
Oh, I also made the ribbing less tall than was called for. It turned out to be a perfect fit for my husband’s head.
|Happy Husband in his new hat|