My husband and I are originally from Arizona and we still have friends and family there. A couple of these friends recently had their first baby, and I wanted to do something special for them. After perusing my magazine stack for choices, I decided on this:
I bought three skeins (oops, I mean balls) of Red Heart Baby Soft Steps in Lavender and got right to work. I was really excited to work on this particular project because I especially enjoy making things for the people in my life. It didn’t take long for me to get the center completed.
I had to use a G hook, which is very unusual for me. I tend to pick patterns that call for G, H, or I and then have to go up two hook sizes because I crochet so tightly. I haven’t used anything smaller than an I when working with yarn for a very long time.
I wasn’t worried about the pattern being labeled for experienced crocheters, because I knew my skills were up to it. The complicated directions required a little extra thought, but nothing I couldn’t handle. However, the actual mistakes in the written pattern had me beating my head against a figurative wall. Not too many years ago, I would have had to give up and move on to something else. I now have a bit of experience reading diagrams. I don’t think I will ever prefer a diagram to written instructions, but I understand enough now to help me figure out complicated or just plain wrong pattern instructions. I am very pleased to say that I conquered this pattern and it turned out amazing.
I can hear some of you now. “Hey, didn’t the picture from a few posts back have some dark purple on it? Well, yes. So, earlier I said that I started with 3 balls of Lavender. Turns out I misread the yarn requirements and I ran out. No problem back to the store to buy another. At this point, I hadn’t figured out my mistake yet so I thought one more would be sufficient. Ha! I ran out again. I was within 3 rounds of the end, so I was sure one more would do it. Except they didn’t have any more of that color. In fact, nobody in town had any of that color.
Now what? Well, I could have ordered some either online or through the store, but I was convinced that I wanted to finish the blanked that weekend, so I bought a darker purple for the outside. I knew the colors would work well together, but I just wasn’t sure if the color change at that point would work in the pattern. Knowing that I would need to finish the last three rounds to figure it out, taking the risk that I would have to pull it out and find more lavender if I didn’t like it, I got right to work. Um, no. That would have been efficient, practical, and maybe have helped me reach my finishing goal. Clearly I don’t work like that. Instead, I set the project aside for about a week. This was a super-great plan as I then spent every following day thinking about how much further behind I was getting.
Finally, I pulled myself together and got to it. Three-fourths of the way into the final round, I ran out of the darker purple. One more trip to the store, where I discovered that they had restocked the lavender. Many agonizing minutes later I finally decided that the original single-color vision was what I still wanted and I left the store with 2
skeins balls of lavender.
Whew! That’s a story. I am very pleased with how it turned out, actually I really adore this blanket. It’s on it’s way to Arizona right now – only a month later than planned. I sure hope our friends like it as much as I do.