I know that finishing the first square doesn’t really count as a finished project; however, it feels like an accomplishment to me.
Two months ago, I posted about beginning this afghan and I had this much done:
This weekend I finished the first square:
I had never worked with the C2C stitch prior to starting this, so I wasn’t sure if I would like using it. Turns out it’s really easy to do, but separate, small balls of yarn are really a must if you don’t want a tangled mess. I used the half-double crochet version and my square came out 16″. I figure this means the blanket will be a 4ft. square. I will probably add rectangular top and bottom panels making it about 5ft long by 4ft wide, pretty much perfect for my son’s twin bed.
I liked the look of this stitch much better than I thought I would. In fact, I was so happy with it that it seemed the perfect stitch for working up my new soap mats recently. They came out as beautiful rectangles perfect for the spaces in my bathroom. I used the double crochet C2C version for the soap mats.
What did I learn: The C2C stitch is super easy and works up fast, I prefer a written version to a graph, I will have to make small yarn balls for the rest of the color changes, and I like Deborah Norville Everyday yarn better than Vanna’s Choice for softness.
This square was fun and I plan to start the next one this week, look for it in my next stitching update.